Thursday, August 27, 2015

Colorado the Beautiful



It happens every time. The nostalgia. Memories flooding back, washing down the mountain threatening to overflow through my eyes. 

I love this place. So much it hurts sometimes. 


How did I ever leave here? How could I ever let so much distance stand between me and these people who embody the very reasons why I love this state, so much? Of course, I’ve never really left, because I carry you with me every step of the way.

This last trip back was especially fulfilling because it was packed with all the friends and places that I love the most. To see you all so happy, so completely in your elements, accomplishing goals and pursuing dreams—to hug you, laugh with you, snuggle with you, eat with you, dance with you, is the most rejuvenating thing that can happen to a friend that lives so far away.

Meryl's million dollar view

Picnics with Carl
naps with Carl


Babes and pups at Jazz in the Park

Colorado silhouettes
Winter Park skyline

Burros reunite!
Thank you for never changing or compromising your true essence. Thank you for your effortless friendship, for the picnics, bonfires, margaritas, life chats by the river, 4 a.m. charades, walks in the woods and soaks in the springs. Thank you for getting married, having babies, buying homes and kicking ass at your jobs, because it is always fun to have another excuse to celebrate. Thank you for reminding me that when the time is right, I can still party with the best of ‘em.

Roadtrips to the mountains always have a way of turning into a therapy session of sorts. The curves gently lull a sense of peace into the soul, coaxing down that knot that rises in your throat as you breach that first crest on I-70 with the postcard perfect view of the Rockies. Every time I visit, I inevitably battle the ‘what ifs’ in my head: What if I hadn’t moved away? What if I had come back? What if we could make it work here? What if all the good land is already bought up and I've missed my chance? What if this was my life.

These questions serve no productive purpose and I wouldn’t change things even if I could. I love my life and the new people and places it has brought into my heart. I wouldn’t trade these experiences for anything. I am incredibly grateful for having left Colorado and for the perspective that distance has given me.

I love you more because I can’t have you.

But as an eternal romantic and aspiring optimist I am confident that we’ll be together again… when the time is right. And the air is brisk.

llama face. standard. 

heart to heart
Welcome to the crew, Alpen Henley Soles

Auntie Elle not even worried about her giant plate of Mexican food
Leverson reunions!
sweet ol' Beau

chicken palace

Twila and her little man






Auntie by love

Steamboat, the one and only
Strawberry Park hot springs
Kaati, homeowner and best hostess
they thought this was love, but it's pain


The nostalgia continues. Group hugs at Red Rocks, Death Cab for Cutie



what happiness looks like
what love looks like

minus one

just a little nap on the rocks before another big night in Denver

Jurassic 5 with Cut Copy




what's happening in the background?



4am charades and group photos

roller coaster
Helen Keller (not PC)
Brunch...what remains

** Not pictured: Jermo, Gabe, Curcio, Casey, Chris Michael**
much love to you fellas too

1 comment:

  1. You made me cry then laugh then cry again !!! You kids have all grown to be such wonderful young adults ! when did that happen ???!!! I am so proud to know you all and the adventures you live daily . YOLO
    you are all so beautiful ! Love you ! Mama Vern : )

    ReplyDelete

"There is no need to search; achievement leads nowhere. It makes no difference at all, so just be happy now! Love is the only reality of the world, because it is all One, you see. And the only laws are paradox, humor and change. There is no problem, never was, and never will be. Release your struggle, let go of your mind, throw away your concerns and relax into the world. No need to resist life; just do your best. Open your eyes and see that you are far more than you imagine. You are the world, you are the universe; you are yourself and everyone else too! It's all the marvelous play of God. Wake up, regain your humor. Don't worry, you are already free!" - Way of the Peaceful Warrior